Friday, June 13, 2014

The secret to strength is joy

"The secret to strength is joy." -Rick Warren

I read this in my devotional today and it really struck me. When I think about how I'm able to stick to a seemingly very restrictive diet I know it's not that I have more motivation than other people. I enjoy the way I eat. I mean that's boiling it down a lot but basically that's it. I don't feel deprived or like I'm doing something I have to do.

The same goes for working out. Years ago I would force myself to spend an hour at 24 Hour Fitness three times a week. I didn't talk to anyone and I didn't challenge myself (or even know how to).

It has been such a blessing to find workouts that I enjoy! Running, yoga, hiking, and CrossFit are things I do with friends or if I'm alone I'm taking in beautiful views. It's easy for me to log five or more workouts in a week because I'm doing things I love. I only take rest days because I'm busy, not because I don't want to work out.

I have definitely done those crazy diets (fruits and veggies for a week!) and I've done miserable workouts but I never stuck with any of it. What gives me strength to eat right and exercise (the "magic secret" to getting/staying in shape) is finding joy in the way I do it!

Day 33
Breakfast:
oatmeal, sliced almonds, blueberries

Snack:
Mango Chia Pod
baby carrots
nectarine

Lunch:
Zucchini Chickpea Tomato Curry (very substantial on its own, no quinoa or other base needed)

Snack:
Blueberry Chia Pod
Key Lime Coconut Energy Bites

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai

Exercise:
Rest Day


No comments:

Post a Comment