Monday, June 23, 2014

The magic number

So many people seem to judge progress by the number on the scale. I don't know how I escaped that desire to know how much I weigh. I was exposed to all the usual things. We had a scale in the house and I would always weigh myself when I went to someone else's house and they had a scale. I also distinctly remember my Barbie scale which showed her weight as 110 lbs when she stood on it. I remember learning various metrics for determining what the ideal weight was. Yet somehow I stopped caring about my weight pretty early on. Well, not my weight, but the actual number. I still struggled with body image like everyone else when I was growing up.

I'm not sure if I was just too cheap to buy my own scale when I moved out on my own but I got used to not knowing exactly how much I weighed. I learned to judge my weight based on how my clothes fit. Now I can't imagine worrying about the number. It seems so arbitrary. Haven't you had that experience where you find out what someone weighs and it's a shock? I know I have. So many factors go into how much your body weighs like bone density and muscle mass.

If you are really looking for results to motivate you I think taking measurements is a much better way to track progress. That's basically what using clothes does, just in a less precise way. I have a pair of jeans that I've owned for at least 10 years. At one point they were so tight on me I could barely button them. That was right around the time I started my first desk job and was sitting for 8 hours a day. I'm glad I still have them so I can continue to monitor my weight!

Day 43
Breakfast:
Oatmeal, banana

Lunch:
Raw Lasagna

Dinner:
Antioxidant Warm Quinoa Bowl

Exercise:
Yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment