Friday, June 6, 2014

Don't believe everything you read

Today I saw a Facebook link posted and the description was "Science flip-flop: Now we shouldn't strive for colorful vegetables? See doctor's latest advice here…" Total click-bait which is my biggest pet peeve and I usually refuse to click them out of principle, however I had a feeling that the tagline was misleading and wanted to see the data for myself so I clicked through. Sure enough, the article stated, "The absolute quantity of fruit and vegetable intake, but not the variety, was associated with a significantly lower risk of CHD." (I assume CHD is coronary heart disease.) So the article is basically saying eat as many fruits and veggies as you can while the description would not indicate that at all. It really frustrated me to see something like that because many people won't click through and just assume colorful vegetables aren't important, whether they are getting enough in the first place or not.

There is so much misinformation out there and you can usually find a study to support whatever hair-brained idea you come up with. I tend to take the approach of keeping it simple. This has made the way I eat so much easier, I actually really don't have to think about it very much at all. I don't count calories or carbs or do any math (even though I love math!!). I don't monitor my portions or what time of day or night I eat. I just try my best to eat plant-based whole foods and it's been working for me for the past few years. I do try to stop eating when I'm satisfied, not stuffed. But what I'm saying is by eating this way it makes my decisions really easy and I don't get caught up in minutia.

You might be thinking, "hey, subbing out worcestershire sauce due to the added sugar seems like minutia to me." Okay ya, maybe you're right. But this whole sugar thing is very recent and the only reason I'm able to layer it onto my existing livet is because I'm willing to think a little harder about what I eat. I'm willing to put in a little more effort.

Now that said, you'll see below that tonight was definitely a cheat meal! But I skipped dessert which is really big for me!

Day 26
Breakfast:
oatmeal, banana

Snack
Nakd Apple Protein Crunch Bar
Nakd Cocoa Crunch Bar

Lunch:
Pasta Primavera with brown rice (the eggplant noodles ran out last night)

Snack:
Plum

Dinner:
Chips and guacamole from Dia de Campo
Crispy Brussel Sprout Nachos from Dia de Campo
Tostada from Dia de Campo
Margarita from Dia de Campo

Exercise:
Active rest day - 2 mile walk


No comments:

Post a Comment