Sunday, June 8, 2014

My first mud run

Okay not exactly my first, I did do the Zombie Run 5k about a year and a half ago but the obstacles weren't very difficult and it was very different since there was a lot of sprinting (to get away from zombies) which meant a lot of walking to recover. Yesterday I did the World Famous Mud Run and chose the 10k option.  I signed up and ran with a group of friends who are in great shape and put my running ability to shame. I'm used to finishing last in our crossfit classes but since I consider myself a runner I thought I'd be able to hold my own on the running portion of the race.

Boy was I wrong! Each time we approached a hill I watched hopelessly as the pack pulled away from me as I began to walk. Hills are so difficult for me and I just can't manage to run up them. Thankfully my friends waited for me to catch up each time they pulled away but it was really frustrating that I couldn't manage to keep up with them.

At first I tried to account for why they were so much better than me. I reasoned that they must have played sports as kids so they had an advantage that I would never be able to match. But then I came to the realization that I was doing pretty awesome. I remembered a quote I had read a while back: "A flower doesn't think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms." It's so easy to compare ourselves to others, especially in this situation where we were all running as a group. But success is relative and my "bad" is someone else's "great." I have to remember where I came from and realize that just completing the race is an accomplishment. All I can do is take Freddy's advice and keep running up hills until I get better!

Day 28
Snack:
Feel Good Hearty Granola Bar

Brunch:
Baby Kale Salad (no cheese) from The Rockefeller
Curried Sweet Potato Bombs from The Rockefeller

Snack:
Banana Chia Pod (delicious and surprisingly filling!)
Mixed Nuts
Tortilla Chips

Dinner:
Pasta Primavera with Udon Noodles

Dessert:
Key Lime Coconut Energy Bite

Exercise:
Rest Day


No comments:

Post a Comment