Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween and tour of CATS

Monday was pretty exciting and busy. I got up and went to Woodland Hills Physical Therapy early enough to make the 9:30 class at Bar Method in Encino. It was my first class there and Alison was the teacher. She was great and really pushed me but in a nice way. It was a nice surprise to see the founder, Burr Leonard, there observing the class. She looks so great and was taller than I expected! Even though I was covered in tattoos for my Halloween costume I just had to get a picture with her.


Later I headed over to Van Nuys to take a tour of the Center for Assault Treatment Services. I can't believe this place exists and I've never heard of it. It's sad that it's necessary but thankfully it does exist for those in need. Can you imagine being sexually assaulted and having to wait in an emergency room for hours competing with gun shot wounds and other life threatening issues? And imagine how much worse that would be for a child. CATS provides a place to go that is dedicated to serving victims of sexual, physical, and domestic abuse. It is so welcoming there with murals on the walls and toys for children so it really doesn't seem like you are in a hospital. Their nurses are experts in this field and know exactly how to fill out the lengthy forms and how to collect samples properly - a process that can take 2-3 hours. It is just incredible that this place exists and runs off of donations! I am so motivated to raise even more money now! Speaking of which, how bout checking out my donation page: http://www.crowdrise.com/crystalarrieta (I'm giving away the pair of adidas shoes I won to the first person who donates at least $75 - you must be able to pick them up from Fleet Feet Encino where they will professionally fit you).

Finally I headed over to Fleet Feet to get some new shoes. I was just going to get my normal Asics Kayanos but Trey had me try a less cushioned version which I really liked since it felt lighter. While I was there I also picked up some socks and Superfeet High Heel Insoles. I've already used both the flat and the heel versions and they are great! Also I got $5 off my purchase for showing up in costume on Halloween.



Tuesday we had a 4 mile tempo run. The first and last miles were the warm up and cool down. Oh and I found out my estimated marathon pace.... 10:43/mile! I'm so excited, I'd be thrilled if that was my pace! We followed up the run with stretching and core work as usual.

Wednesday I skipped the fun run at Fleet Feet and just did my 3 miles in the neighborhood. On my way back I stopped at CVS to pick up my inhaler which I found kind of ironic. I'm thankful my asthma is pretty minor though and controllable with an inhaler. I try to take it before each run but even when I forget it's not too bad.

This picture is from a few weeks ago but I haven't posted it yet so here's Trey and I shivering before a chilly Saturday morning run. He's such a great coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment