Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week of LA Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

Monday I got home from work to see that Kelley and Dale had made a donation to the Center for Assault Treatment Services just when I was thinking my goal of reaching $1,000 by 10/31 might not happen! This week was a little light on running in order to prepare for Sunday so I'll jump straight to Wednesday.

I drove up to Palos Verdes and ran along the cliff. While I was running I started crafting a clever status update to encourage more donations so you can imagine my surprise when I got home and found that my brother and his wife (and their daughter) had made a donation! It was a really windy run but it was gorgeous and I got to use my new Nike+ GPS watch! I'm so glad Trey suggested I wait for the white one to come in, it's so stylish! I'm still getting used to the interface but it was pretty easy for the most part.




Thursday I took another rest day but was thrilled to see that my cousin Carmen and her family and my friend Zon had made donations! It was so exciting to see that I'm only $30 away from $1,000 and still days away from the 31st.

Friday I took my last class at Pop Physique. It was a Blackout class with a Halloween theme so they blacked out all the windows and turned on black lights. It was really fun and they served pumpkin champagne after which was delicious!




Saturday was jam packed! I got up early to go for a run with Sarah. We ran just over 2 miles and then got brunch. Then I headed up to Marina Del Rey for Yogaqua. Even though I was a bit worried about doing this the day before my race, the deal I bought was for three classes and if I didn't squeeze this one in I would only get to take two classes. I was glad I went because it was a gorgeous day and a really fun class. I don't have pictures from this one but here's one from my first class:


After that I headed over to the expo for the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Downtown. After picking up my bib and shirt, I got to check out the medal I'll receive for doing two Rock 'n' Roll races in one year. Also got to see the medal I'll receive in January for the New Year's Race.



Then I wandered over to the Spartan Race booth and saw they were having a burpee contest. Mike really wanted the shirt that said "I'm training for a Spartan Race" so I asked them how much. They said 15 burpees so despite having worked out twice already, I dropped and gave them 15.


Sunday was race day. Last year I had to forego this race due to injury so I was extremely thankful to finally get redemption. I was pretty nervous about running in costume, especially since the wing straps dug into my armpits, but it was a huge success! No chaffing anywhere! The halo kept falling off so I carried it most of the time but that was no problem. I finished the race in 2:27:36 which was about 10 minutes longer than the Rock 'n' Roll Pasadena Half Marathon but considering I was wearing a costume I think it was okay. My favorite part was when we turned around on the 6th Street Bridge and got a really nice view of Downtown.








As of 10/28/12 I am still $30 away from my goal for this month so if you can spare some money to help  the Center for Assault Treatment Services continue to provide free services to victims of sexual abuse and assault, please click the top right Donate button or just click HERE.

Thank you so much to everyone who has already donated, the response has been overwhelming and I'm way ahead of where I was last year! That goes for the team as a whole too, this week we passed the $10,000 mark! You are making a difference, thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment