Monday, October 15, 2012

Marathon Training Week 2

Last Monday I ran 4 miles with Ali and Jaime. We wanted to be sure we are ready for the Zombie Race on 10/20. After we ate at my favorite vegan restaurant, Native Foods!


It's true, I eat a mostly vegan diet! I started last December while training for the LA Marathon after watching the documentary Forks Over Knives. Then I read Brendan Brazier's book Thrive. What I saw and read made sense to me so I figured I'd give it a shot and if it got too hard I'd stop. Well, it hasn't been that difficult and the more information I discover the more reasons I collect to continue eating this way. I know it's not for everyone but it works for me!

Tuesday I stopped by Body Dynamix to have Dr. Eddie look at my heel. It started hurting Sunday but not super painful. Just enough to feel it with every step. He said it didn't seem to be plantar fasciitis and should be better in a few days. He applied heat, ultra sound, ice, and "scraped" my leg with what looked like a dull scalpel. None of it hurt!!

Wednesday I went to Pop Physique for some cross training and to give my heel a rest from running. My favorite instructor was teaching, she is a runner too! I noticed that instead of the typical Lululemon attire worn in barre classes, she wore running pants so one day I asked and sure enough, she's a runner.

Thursday I drove up to Palos Verdes to run on a trail along the cliffs and enjoy the gorgeous sunset. It had rained during the day and was still raining in parts of LA so I got an amazing view! I only ran about 3 miles but it included some steep trails as I explored the area.

Friday was movie night at Fleet Feet Encino to raise money for the Center for Assault Treatment Services. We paid $10 for admission to see Spirit of the Marathon and another $10 for a raffle ticket to win a Nike GPS watch. The movie was great and definitely got me pumped for my own marathon. After the movie was over it was time for the raffle. I mused that I had been having problems uploading runs from my Garmin lately so I sure wouldn't mind winning but I was floored when my name was called!


Saturday I ran on the wood chip trail which cuts through both Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach. It's very well maintained with plenty of water fountains, mile markers every quarter mile, and workout stations every so often. Since my heel wasn't 100% yet I figured this would be the best terrain to accomplish the 8 miles I had in mind in order to prepare for the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon at the end of the month. I only encountered two stoplights along the nearly 4 mile trail which were a bit tricky to navigate but ultimately much better than typical city streets. And there were tons of people out running too which made me feel safter when crossing streets.

And now for my fundraising update... a week ago when I posted I was at $150 and today I am at $700! I am just so pleased with this progress!! As for the contest, Laurie Adami is in the lead with her $500 donation. Laurie and I used to work together and she is a wonderful woman and an incredible fundraiser! She raises money to research cures for blood diseases (like lymphoma, leukemia and multiple myeloma). I am so grateful for her donation and the donations from my friends Joelle and Putri. This money is so necessary for CATS to continue providing free services to victims of sexual abuse and assault by highly skilled nurses and other staff. Please donate if you are able:

DONATE HERE

I'm trying to come up with a good gimmick if I reach $1,000 by Halloween. Please send me your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment