Monday, March 4, 2013

TWO WEEKS?!?!?

Monday I went to Bar Method and then met Sarah after for a run. Since I was having some pain on top of my left foot I thought it would be a good idea to run in the sand so I wouldn't have to wear shoes. We started out running in the sand but it was really cold and difficult so we sprinted in the sand to the next opening in the wall, then walked on The Strand to the next opening, and continued switching off. We covered about 2 miles before ultimately deciding that we'd had enough.

Tuesday I started doing a little research about the pain in my foot. I found out that walking (and I presume running) barefoot and/or without arch support is the worst thing you can do for it! Apparently my brilliant sand running idea wasn't so brilliant after all. Even though I got home early enough to do Bar Method and run, I ended up doing neither. My foot was still hurting and I had no idea if activity would make it worse so I decided rest couldn't hurt.

Wednesday my foot hurt too much to wear heels so I headed to see my old friends at Woodland Hills Physical Therapy where Rod was nice enough to squeeze me in and work on my foot. He said it was okay to run on which made me feel way better and he also said he thinks I can run the marathon in 4 hours 30 minutes! I don't know about all that but it definitely gave me confidence. Even though I got the go ahead to run I took one more rest day.

Thursday I worked from home which gave me the chance to go for a lunchtime run with Sarah. It was quite warm out which felt good at first but also made me glad we were only running 3 miles. That evening I went to Bar Method.


Friday I was able to make it back from work just in time to hit the last Bar Method class of the day. I was pretty happy that despite being somewhat injured I still managed to hit Bar Method three times this week and run twice before my long run.

Saturday I met up with Sandy and Barbara to run 9 miles before meeting up for Roga (run + yoga). When we pulled into the parking lot we saw our first indication that the marathon is imminent, special marathon parking rates! We headed down the pier to the boardwalk and caught some great views of the sun coming up. In addition to running along the boardwalk we incorporated some tough inclines and ran through some beautiful neighborhoods before meeting up with Wie back at the pier to do a 5k. We had originally planned to run a bit more but wanted to guarantee we'd be back in time for yoga. Thankfully we had gorgeous weather and practicing yoga on the Santa Monica Pier was just incredible!










After Roga and some well earned brunch, I headed over to the expo for the St. Patrick's Day 5k to volunteer. I thought it sounded like a good way to engage in my community even though I didn't plan to run the race, however I quickly found out that typically only high school track students trying to fulfill their volunteer hours do this sort of thing. It made me feel good that most people assumed I was a high school student too! But then it made me feel old to hear them talk to each other. It was still fun though and I got to check out the special edition LA Marathon Asics that I'm really tempted to buy even though they are not the right type of shoe for me.



Sunday marked exactly two weeks til the marathon and while I feel confident in my training, I'm not satisfied with my fundraising. Last year I raised $3,000 and while I am nowhere near my goal this year of $4,000, I really want to at least beat my total from last year. I am so grateful to all my friends and family who have donated and not only supported me with their acknowledgment, but supported an amazing cause with their dollars. The Center for Assault Treatment Services does incredible work to help victims of sexual abuse and assault and as much as I wish they didn't need to exist, as long as there is a need I want to see them keep their doors open. Please click Donate Now at the top right of this page to make a donation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment